Thursday, April 12, 2007

LA Times Article

What an incredible experience it is throwing myself into the moshpit of the media. Ok, maybe not a moshpit. Not even a sale at Filene's Basement. There's been some jostling.

LA Times reporter PJ Puffstutter interviewed me yesterday by phone. She was supposed to fly out--spring blizzard canceled that. The article hit the web last night and there have been a number of readers from CA who are asking me why I am doing this in the way I am.
  1. I am not loco. A number of things came together this winter/spring that lead me to realize my possessions were keeping me where I was and preventing me from moving forward. A combination of Buddhist thought on attachment, reading The Pathfinder and having the idea of trading comfort for vitality, and Mama Gena's philosophy on not waiting. Because the things I had from a great and varied past kept me from being able to look forward into the future.
  2. I am not suicidal. Certainly the giving away/disposing of one's property is a red flag that someone has suicidal ideation (and if that is the case I highly recommend anyone feeling that way to a number of resources, posted at the margin), however to do so on ebay would be the most twisted of cries for help.
  3. My family does not think of me as crazy. Or at least not because of this decision. At least they haven't told me so nor has someone been appointed my guardian. Maybe they do, who knows? People who know me seem to fall onto either end of a spectrum: those who are completely unsurprised and then those who are stunned. If I was better at html and computer graphics I could make a nice little chart or something.
  4. Money is one reason for doing this, but it is not the only thing. I started selling smaller lots, individual items that I felt could bring more money about 2 months ago. It was a long, tedious process with way too many trips to my fantastic neighborhood Post Offices (those guys truly rock!). I thought this would be easier although less financially rewarding. I have sold some things on craigslist, but decided for something of this scope having to respond to emails and set up times to show the items would also be inconvenient. Silly me, I am spending as much time doing this. But craigslist does kick booty.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Even a local newspaper in Frankfurt (Germany) reported about Lisa's auction: http://www.rhein-main.net/sixcms/list.php?page=fnp2_news_article&id=3636781

Translation (excuse my English):

Selling all your belongings at auction

St. Paul. Lisa Perry wants to move - and before that she wants to get rid of her stuff: The 45 years old American is selling her belongings on eBay. The high bidder will get more than 300 pieces including snowshoes, one futon-bed, seashells und a LP of the "Village People". Perry wants to keep only some things: her dog, her cat, fotoalbums and some clothes. "This could be midlife, but it is not a crisis", says Perry. "It is midlife-excitement. I do not need all that. I do not use all that. I only possess it. In truth it possesses me."

-------------
Dear Lisa, best luck for your auction! I watch your item and I am curious to see how many people will bid.

Best wishes from Germany,
Tanja

Anonymous said...

Thanks! That's a very good translation, pretty much the same as in the English.