Thursday, April 19, 2007

Wacky Morning Shows

Sitting at my laptop, checking the news and email, and I get a call from some crazy morning crew in Chicago. I really hate these shows. Generally, they are not funny, they try too hard, and they are often mean. They asked for an interview. I hesitated. Couldn't say no at that point. Agreed. Proceeded to be treated as if I was an idiot and became more defensive than I would like. Moral: no spontaneous interviews. No local radio spots.
On top of the google news reports of the sale being a "flop" and my "failing" to sell everything on ebay. On top of the voracious feeding frenzy with the VT shooter. People and media glory in failings and the macabre. Nothing new, Don Henley's Dirty Laundry, right? It's just wild, how the story first was so popular because it connected with people's interest in the slightly odd and the feeling that possessions control people. Now it seems to be popular because it shows one can't escape possessions and who knows what. It certainly isn't personal. Not like people in India know me and think that justice has been served. So what is it?
I know that I would still have rather gone through the media carnivale and experienced it, worked it, known what it is like to be interviewed live and taped in video and audio, than never have done it. It's harder to push forward than it is to pull back. Ask for forgiveness rather than permission.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

those stupid shows I hate them. so maybe there was some bloke like me that is forced to listen to that crap every morning because of their coworkers radio preference prevails.
AND then they got to hear you talk!!
I was already on your path, but you got me MORE on the path, got the ball rolling faster.
so thanks!!